Wednesday, September 16, 2009

From Baby Ruth to Biopsy

Today was a day to forget, not one of those when you look and think hey this day was great I hope to relive it again. For starters, I was incredibly tired from lack of sleep not because of the amounts of tossing and turning, however it is actually a good tired if there is even such a thing. Late night conversations with people you really enjoy talking to usually fall into this category. Hopefully it will continue! I guess the sleeping patterns that I have been experimenting with have finally caught up to me. Not to mention going to work and finding out you were supposed to finish something yesterday but didn't and had to hear about it from just about everybody. ( TPS Reports). However, the real excitement did not come until later on in day when I had to talk to my boss about those “things” I failed to do before I left from work yesterday. Nothing too harsh, just your average lecture about how we (all) and when I say all she really meant ME, need to increase our productivity and to keep customers #1 in our minds. Excuse me, but when was the last time the customer thought to keep us #1 in their minds??? It probably wasn't as bad as I am making it out to be however, it was not something I particularly wanted to hear right before I go home. When I had finally gotten home all I could think of was to lay on the couch and turn my mind off and watch things on TV that would probably make me retarded but that was Ok because I thought in my mind I had earned it. When you deal with nurses all day you tend to be a little bitter and unreasonable at the end of the mind numbing day.

Before I could plop myself on the couch I received a phone call from the older sibling, but I couldn't hear her because she was whispering. She began with the words DAD's Cholesterol is 285!! Now I am no nurse or Dr. but I do know that is an incredibly big number to have in terms of your health. I started laughing because in the back of my mind I always knew this was going to happen to someone who buys 6 bags of candy for Halloween and only uses about 1 ½. Than when you ask him about it he pretends like hes finding out for the first time. Also coming from a guy who will eat whatever he can as long as its either sweet, salty or just plain not good for you. The man is a machine. Well this machine has not gotten a tune up in a long time. So after hearing about it I decided to confront the culprit first hand:


Me: Hey Mr. 285

D: What?? Who told you that?

Me: Mom and Sis

D: No, they don't know what they are talking about, its not that bad

Me: Dad I have found bags of Candy all over and they are Baby Ruth ( favorite), you hide it in your car, your lunch bag, and even in your bedroom closet.

D: What are you talking about Willis? ( his favorite saying)
D: So what, if I have a few sweets??
Me: Dad, its not just the candy, you drink Pepsi like you work for them, you eat cashews all the time they might as well put your face on the can and don't get me started about the Ice Cream.
D: Dr. said I was fine and perfectly healthy..
Me: Ok, than why did he put you on medicine.
D: I don't know you should call him up and ask him
Me: Maybe I will, and while I'm at it I may just schedule your next appointment for next month
D: Riiiiiighggght ( another favorite saying only he really exaggerates it)
Me: Well what else did he say??
D: Nothing he said I'm Ok,
Me: Dad were going to clean out the house of all the sweets you eat and not let you eat anymore.
D: Do you think I only have one hiding places in the house? Here talk to your mother

The conversations with my D, never seem to amaze me because of the stuff he comes up with. He can make everything out of a joke and think its funny. My M seems to think hes not letting on that he is really scared, I guess because he wants us to think that he is strong etc. My M got back on the phone and I'm thinking well this day has sucked what else, and just when I started to think that M was like well I went to the Dr. and they found something. Now I'm not usually good with taking bad news, but this was different. It was my M, and to say that she has a special place in my heart, well that would be the biggest understatement of my life. I love her like a fat kid loves cake. She has always been there for me and is really where I get most of my strength from. So as the conversation continued she revealed that cancer MIGHT rear its ugly head. Now I know people get cancer all the time, in fact some of my friends mom's have cancer and I always thought it was a horrible thing, but God would never do that to me. I have been through enough myself for the whole family and than some.

D-day is October 1st and we will find out what happens. If there is one thing that annoys me about my mom its that she hides everything from me and my sister. Heaven forbid if something happens to us and we didn't tell her. She says that she didn't want us to worry, but how is that not possible especially when you love someone so much. I eventually started to calm down when I got some much needed information from someone. Apparently it is very common to have a cyst and the odds of actually having cancer are very slim, and the good news is that they caught it at an early stage if in fact it turns out to be cancerous. Until than, I will keep my fingers crossed that everything will work out the way its supposed too. So Thank you, to that special someone who has helped me through it.

No comments: